GnuPG and OS X

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 19 11:05:49 CEST 2011

Alex, thanks for the overview and for coordination the effort,
I believe this is really important to promote end-to-end
email encryption.

Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2011 00:11:02 schrieb Alexander Willner:
> 1.2. We can clearly state at
> http://www.gpgtools.org/macgpg1/index.html that using GnuPG 1 is not a
> good idea and the user should tell us why he wants to use version 1
> instead of version 2.

GnuPG 1 is for very special usecases only, in my view it should be phased out
whereever possible. Even for small and tiny cases. I believe this is
important as is promoting the use of gpgme everywhere. It is the only way we
can iron out the problems over time.

Am Montag, 16. Mai 2011 14:54:17 schrieb Werner Koch:
> > and the prominent links from http://gnupg.org etc.
>
> It currently reads:
>
>   GnuPG comes in two flavours: 1.4.11 is the well known and portable
>   standalone version, whereas 2.0.17 is the enhanced and somewhat harder
>   to build version.
>
> any suggestions on how to reformulate this text?  1.4.11 shall be
> mentioned but not as prominent as today.

My shot at it:
    Version 2.0.17 the current, stable and recommended version of GnuPG.
    For developers: If your system is far-off from current standards
    or very reduced maybe, GnuPG might be hard to build and run. This case
    you can try the maintained, old branch: Version 1.4.11

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.