needs in OpenPGP to use it for a bitcoin replacement.

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu May 26 00:17:58 CEST 2011

On May 25, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Jbar wrote:

>> I think the whole bitcoin story is questionable enough. I'm not saying
>> bitcoin can't be successful, but you should be wary and make a careful
>> decision. Everyone has different opinions about it. Adding "yet another
>> system" on top of that won't help.
>
> I just want that gnupg manage a new  subpacket type octet (cf the section 5.2.3.1. of the RFC 4880) needed for the signing chain feature :
>
> "The value of the subpacket type octet may be:
> (...)
>               33 = Recipient

Without going into the details of bitcoin or whether it is a good system or not, and speaking strictly from the OpenPGP protocol perspective, you don't need a new subpacket to get what you want.  OpenPGP has a generic key=value notation subpacket (number 20), already supported by GnuPG, which is ideal for what you are trying to do.  Just use a notation of something like bitcoin at your-domain.example.com=XXX.

David