Parallel Encryption Revisited

Yushu Yao yao.yushu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 22:22:02 CET 2012

Hi Experts,

5 years ago there was a post asking about parallel encrypting and got
blasted with a series of concerns:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2007-February/023654.html

Now, for both data exchange and backup purposes, many people are trying to
encrypt Terabytes of data (1 big file), on a parallel file system. Clearly
the 1 thread/process sequential encryption is not optimal, and paralleling
can save a lot of time!

I have very limited knowledge of Cryptography, my question is: from what I
observe, "gpg -e" reads in a file, massages it a bit with the public key,
and output another file. What is the reason why it can't split the input
file to 5 pieces, let 5 processes massage each piece with the same pub key,
and then concatenate the outputs to one big output?
(I guess the question is whether gpg is doing an "all to all" correlation
on the input file?).

If above can't be done, maybe people can split the file 1st then encrypt.

Thanks

-Yushu