porting gnupg to Android, is pth required?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 19 19:02:05 CET 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:41, simon at josefsson.org said:

> The error messages suggests it is the former, you need to integrate
> gnulib in the documented way otherwise there will be many strange
> compiler errors.  I don't recall any significant discussions involving

Well, the included gnulib stuff is pretty old and has been modified.
For example to support Windows CE.  The only really requirement we had
was support for setenv.  That pulled in a lot of other stuff.

The problem with gnulib is, it defines a complete new build environment
which often does not work well with existing code.  GnuPG has its own OS
abstraction layer and thus the use of gnulib is not easy.  gnulib is
designed as an extension to Posix to lift it up to a glibc feature
level.  GnuPG is not designed to build against glibc but towards Posix
2001 and W32.  Other related applications (e.g. GPA) build against glib
- which is again a different environment.

My conclusion is that we can't switch to gnulib nor to glib without
breaking a lot of code.  Fixing the few problems with the Android libc
should be easy compared to the changes required to support W32CE or VMS.

Salam-Shalom,