Android does not have pthread_rwlock*, npth wants them

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Mar 7 19:22:27 CET 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 05:13 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I thought I mentioned this in a follow-up email, my apologies if I did not.  I'm currently using android-9/2.3 and its working fine as is, so seemingly using pthread_rwlock_*.  Andrond 2.3 and above covers about 50% of the currently deployed Android devices, so it would be nice to be able to work without pthread_rwlock_*
>
> I might have missed it earlier.  I have the Android NDK set up now.  How far do you think we have to go back in the API level to cover all interesting devices?

Depends who are you are specifically targeting.  Here's the data from the Google Marketplace:
http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

Covering android-7/2.1 would give you 98.8% of the official Google phones that have Marketplace.  Only Google branded phones have the Google Marketplace in them.  For 3rd party ROMs, the Google Marketplace is an extra install.  My guess is 3rd party ROM users are more up-to-date than Google users.

There are also many very cheap Android devices that are not official Google devices, so they won't count in those statistics.  Then there are devices like the Nook and the new Amazon Kindle which are widespread, based on Android, but not official Google devices.  The old Nooks are 1.6.

.hc

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson