fleshing out the XML result of gpgme-tool's KEYLIST command

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Tue Sep 25 20:43:48 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 06:06:54PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:13, wking at tremily.us said:
> > [snip client/server exchange]
>
> and here the result values of the last gpgme operation, which in that
> case was a gpgme_op_keylist_next.  The result values are a kind of
> extended return code.  Don't mix them up with the output of a function.

Ok, but…

> > I'd like the result to include all the information about the requested
> > keys (although it doesn't need to recurse through subkeys).  I could
>
> Okay, that is changing the output format.  Makes sense.  In fact the
> code remarks that more work is needed.

…should I redesign the output of RESULT or KEYLIST?  Perhaps the
problem here is that gpgme-tool bundles a number of GPGME commands
into its KEYLIST command, and RESULT gives more information about the
last constituent command instead of giving more information about the
whole bundle.

> I don't know how you want to format the output, it might resemble what
> "gpg --with-colons --list-keys" does or some XML or SXML format.

> > 2. Deciding on and XML representation for keys may require a lot of
> >    bike-shed-level decisions.
>
> Keep me out of this ;-).
>
> > So perhaps it would be better for me to wait and let someone closer to
> > the core handle this?  I could also let this sit, and bring it up
> > again in six months when people might have more time…
>
> Go ahead.

Will do.  I just didn't want to spend a bunch of time on it and then
hear that I'd done it all wrong ;).  I'll post back once I've come up
with a draft output format.

Trevor