Passphrase in addition to Fingerprint

Thorsten Sick thorsten.sick at email.de
Tue Jul 9 19:11:28 CEST 2013

Hi Daniel

I am totally aware that the identifier will be weaker.
I was having the idea for a GUI, where the keys are marked by a traffic
light (red=not verified, yellow=phrase or similar, green = fingerprint
verification).

I think if the idea rises or lowers security is very dependend on the
way we explain to the average user what to expect from the encrypted
channel and how to improve it. Clicking on the yellow sign in front of a
signature/decrypted mail could tell the user: "Average security. You
verified the Phrase. To improve the security, check the fingerprint
<DEADBEEF0FED> by meeting the person and asking them if this is the
right one".
Passphrase verification is better than no verification at all.

So, the question for me is: Are there and use cases for end-users where
we can not display something like the traffic light indicating good but
not perfect verification ?

Security estimation:
Having a phrase built out of 5 sections, where each section has 100
options in a list it would be 100x100x100x100x100 different phrases =
10,000,000,000 . And I would take more than 100 options.

160 Bit Fingerprint: 1,461501637×10^48

Thorsten Sick