Passphrase in addition to Fingerprint

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 9 21:30:12 CEST 2013

On Mon,  8 Jul 2013 23:15, thorsten.sick at email.de said:

> What I want is to create a short phrase that you can not get out of your
> mind. This is similar to the tricks these memory performers use to
> remember a phone book.

This has been discussed many years ago.  Probably in the OpenPGP WG.
There are two problems with that approach:

  - It does only work for one language.

  - For most languages the use of Non-ASCII characters is required.

IIRC, the outcome of the discussion was that a spelling alphabet should
be used.  The international spelling alphabets have been designed with
non-native speakers in mind; there is enough redundancy in the words
that the error rate is very low.  We only need Alpha..Foxtrott and the
somewhat more problematic digits 0..9.

Salam-Shalom,