FAQ: Re: key length

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Aug 7 16:29:58 CEST 2014

On Thursday 07 August 2014 at 15:54:34, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu,  7 Aug 2014 09:08, bernhard at intevation.de said:
> > Another datapoint:
> > in iX 5/2014 (page 83) they rate RSA 2048 only as "medium" secure
> > and recommend at least 4096 to be save.
>
> Well, if you have put your laptop in Faraday cage, run it on battery
> power, and connect it via fiber, that is something to consider.

You realize that your response is not an argument.

I have given the datapoint to show that there are credible people
recommending 4096 bits. So it seem natuarl that less savy users
ask us about it. Our argumentation must be better then this,
if we want to explain it to users and to convince them.

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner