FAQ: Re: key length

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 7 17:16:26 CEST 2014

On Thu,  7 Aug 2014 16:29, bernhard at intevation.de said:

> You realize that your response is not an argument.

Long time readers of this list understand what I am saying:

  To evaluate security risks it is useless to pick one component of a
  large system and believe you are done.

and I also expected that you read today's security note.

> I have given the datapoint to show that there are credible people
> recommending 4096 bits. So it seem natuarl that less savy users

and they are not talking about a system but an isolated algorithm.

> ask us about it. Our argumentation must be better then this,
> if we want to explain it to users and to convince them.

Right, let's leave the bike shedding to others.

Salam-Shalom,