Should I mark/announce GNOME as incompatible with gpg2 for now?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 28 18:26:05 CEST 2014

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:22, stef at thewalter.net said:

> Sorry I don't have time to work on this myself in the near future. The
> gnome-keyring GPG agent stuff was written for GPG 1.4.x ... and the GPG
> 2 came around which changed (and is still changing) things
> significantly. Fair enough, bit this is hardly as one sided as it might
> seem.

Release date 1.9.0: 2003-08-05  the first GnuPG-2 release
             1.4.0: 2004-12-16
             1.4.2: 2005-07-26  adds support for the GnuPG-2 agent
             2.0.0: 2006-11-11

Fast forward to 2010:

  commit 302db3f520c944176be75cb7f491573038d48b6e
  Author: Stef Walter [...]
  Date:   Sat May 8 15:49:43 2010 +0000

      Start work on gpg-agent, incomplete.

  [...]

> It seems nobody cares enough about using those GPG 2.x features (which
> depend on the real gpg-agent) to actually contribute a fix for this. I'd

I can count the number of mails I answered regarding this problem or
the hours I spend analyzing bug reports which turned out to be a
GKR problem.

> This is not about a power trip or outsmarting each other or anything
> like that. I'm looking for someone to help contribute a fix.

The fix is on your site:  Remove that gpg-agent thingy.

> gnome-keyring's gpg agent is only meant for gpg 1.4.x .... and we should
> probably hard code that in during the build process.

You shall not mess around with the 1.4 IPC either.  As gniibe
noted, thre is much more to it than just passphrase caching.

> Fair enough. But why didn't you say something about this conclusion? Did
> I miss an email or mailing list post about this? If so, could you link
> to it?

Well there is a solution now:  That annoying warning dialog.

Salam-Shalom,