gpg-agent and allow-loopback-pinentry

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Sat Dec 27 15:54:39 CET 2014

On 27.12.14 15:45, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I am too busy with other things right now but a quick note anyway:
>
> We should have a meeting of key developers asap to discuss such things.
> Having it during a conference (e.g. FOSDEM) is IMHO not sufficient.  It
> would be better to have a small dedicated meeting.

Fully agreed, especially as I can't attend FOSDEM this time.

We had a usability study on Enigmail, and the two points below were some
of the feedback we got.

>> 1. There is no explanation why a password is required (and why again)
>
> Okay, let's improve on that.
>
>> 2. There is no feedback for the user about the quality of the passphrase.
>
> There is one for may years - it always bugs me when using my standard
> test passphrase "abc".  The current method is quite primitive but you
> can hook in other checks.

True, but the current pinentry tools (at least pinentry-mac) don't do
this. What I'd like to have is something like a colored progress bar
such that the user can get direct feedback.

-Patrick