What's a FAILED marker ?

ɣęƈƞą vecnamcclaudio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:53:54 CEST 2014

Hi all (first post. "hi I'm a developer")

In my PGP key:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB842093DC6765430

In a section (less before the half of the page) there are a list of
"////////////" of three lines [*], if you try to import that key:

dummy at qq:~$ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 0xB842093DC6765430
gpg: requesting key C6765430 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
gpg: key C6765430: public key "vecna (a Random GlobaLeks Developer) <vecna
nospam.pls>" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1

when I'm exporting (gpg -a --export claudio.agosti) the key with this
'dummy' user, I'm getting the same output of the keyserver.

If I'm exporting this key with the user having also the privacy key pair,
the output differ, and contain this format:

...SOMEARMOR
+TKEY
{MY FINGERPRINT}
FAILED
{A LOT OF "/"}
SOME ARMOR AGAIN...

Here pasted entirely:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vecna/helpagainsttrack/80b52a9cee67e43c7c3a3dab395751093814e03c/vecna_341F1A8CE2B4F4F4174D7C21B842093DC6765430.asc
at 4/5 of the file the error is present

I've checked in gnupg code to figure out what's "FAILED", because my key is
working with openpgp.js and gnupg.

in g10/keyserver.c there are this comment:

    /* Slurp up all the key data.  In the future, it might be
       nice to look for KEY foo OUTOFBAND and FAILED indicators... */

I've not find exactly what is happening, failing to backtrack the issue (in
example, the "///" is never printed by the gnupg code). and why the
presence of my secret key in the secring influence my public key output.

I've not found documentation about it, if someone has some pointer, thank
you.

best,
Claudio ~ vecna

[*] I'm assure I've not generated my PGP key with some patch to change
armor representation :)