how to install the po translations on Android

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Mar 13 02:01:39 CET 2014

On 02/26/2014 02:53 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:35, hans at guardianproject.info said:
>
>> The gettext it is looking for is the C functions for loading the translations?
>
> yes.
>
>>  That's my guess.  libintl is not provided by Android. It might be possible to
>> build the full GNU gettext for Android, but it might also be quite painful.
>
> I am pretty sure that this is possible.  Bruno's code is highly portable.
>
>> Another option I'm considering is using libintl-lite or related fork:
>
> I don't known.  But there is another option.  For historicial reasons
> GnuPG for Windows uses its own gettext implementaion.  It is part of
> libgpg-error but only build and used under Windows - should be easy to
> modify it to work on all OSes.  There are some limitations in the code;
> for example the mo files must be utf-8 encoded (which is easy to
> achieve) and only the additional Germanic plural is supported.

This sounds like a great way to get started with the translations.  I tried my
hand at getting gettext to build on Android but didn't have any luck.  Based
on my past experience with gnulib, which gettext depends on, I fear it is a
non-trivial task.

So I'd like to try using the gettext replacement built into libgpg-error.  I
tried a bit to disentangle the code from Windows, but didn't get too far. I
wanted first to ask what the best approach would be.  It seems that there
probably should be some internal flag for "use internal gettext", then Windows
and Android would set that flag.  I don't think Android needs all the stuff in
the HAVE_WIN32 section of libgpg-error/src/Makefile.am, for example.

Attached is my attempt so far.

.hc