Curve25519 for Encryption and Signing?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Nov 7 16:46:20 CET 2014

On 11/07/2014 09:04 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:

> I wasn't able to create a Curve25519 key for both signing and encryption in
> the most recent 2.1.0. Is there a reason for this? Is it not possible to
> have a dual ECDH/EdDSA? Or is it still under development and simply not yet
> implemented?

GnuPG currently implements Curve25519 for signing and authentication,
but not for encryption.  There has been no consensus on how Curve25519
encryption would be structured on the wire, so it's likely to take a
little longer to get that capability in place.

Discussions about how to implement hybrid encryption using Curve25519
should probably take place on openpgp at ietf.org, though if you want to
propose patches for GnuPG specifically, this is the right mailing list
-- the community here can probably also help flesh out functional
patches into clearer documentation to promote interoperability.

	--dkg