I want to help improve the documentation.

Georgiy Treyvus georgiytreyvus at riseup.net
Sat Nov 8 18:29:02 CET 2014

Hey Bernhard,

I'm truly happy to be on board. If you think there are places I could be
of better use let me know but all in all I think the best strategy is to
go and improve bit by bit as my time permits the documentation in the
man/info pages.

Partly this is because I think that in any good piece of software the
official manual should be the go to place where all of a user's
questions are simply, clearly, and unambiguously answered. Another
factor to keep in mind is that a user may not always have internet
access and that's why all the critical information should be in the
documentation that comes with GnuPG. Improving the website would be nice
(and I do hope to get around to it) but in my opinion it's no substitute
for a good manual that comes as a part of the software.

I just hope to have a steady stream of incremental improvements to the
man/info pages coming in. Also adding some complexity to the mix are all
the changes that come with GnuPG 2.1.0 which I must first understand
properly to fully see all the holes in the documentation which from
previous precedent there definitely will be. All challenges considered
this is still an awesome opportunity to improve a piece of software that
is critical to preserving everyone's freedom and security. Another
benefit is that in the process I will hopefully wind up knowing the
OpenPGP spec inside out and get that much closer to being a truly
hardcore cryptographer.

Anyway if there is some way you feel I can improve my approach to
improving the documentation let me know. Otherwise I'll just get to work
and hopefully one day GnuPG will be documented so well even my grandma
can use it. Feel free to suggest more specifically how I can be of use.

Best Regards,
Georgiy