gpg-agent 2.1.0's ssh-agent functionality produces error messages about smartcards when no smartcards are present or used

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 21 14:25:42 CET 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 01:16, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> gpg-agent[7636]: no authentication key for ssh on card: Card error

> This happens even if there is no smartcard configured or used for ssh.

This should not be different from 2.0.  gpg-agent always checks whether
a smartcard is inserted and tries to use this smartcard, regardless of
~/.gnupg/sshcontrol.  Thus you see that warning (and with PC/SC the
additional warnings).

This might have been introduced a while back when gniibe fixed the
handling of plugable smartcard readers.  I am not sure what to do about
this.  We would need to tell scdaemon to silence these warnings iff
they are due to the use-plugged-card-for-ssh feature.

Salam-Shalom,