I want to help improve the documentation.

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 28 17:01:29 CET 2014

Hi Georgiy--

On 10/18/2014 03:37 PM, Georgiy Treyvus wrote:

> Thus what I'd like to do is help improve the documentation. If I were to
> take the time to expand, update, and rewrite more clearly various
> portions of the manual bit by bit as my time permits would you folks be
> willing to integrate these improvements into the official documentation?

I send patches to this mailing list, and many of them are merged.  I
don't think there's a guarantee that they'll all be merged, but it's
worth sending them so that there is something concrete to discuss.

I agree that the documentation could be improved, but i'm not sure that
"expanding" is the right direction in most cases :)

At any rate, if there are problems that you see that need to be
addressed, mailing patches to this list is a great way to start.

Using git should be useful.  Most of the generated documentation is
derived from doc/, which you should be able to edit with your editor of
choice:

 git clone git://git.gnupg.org/gnupg.git
 cd gnupg/doc
 $EDITOR gpg.texi

While it might be tempting to read through the whole thing and edit it
all at once, i recommend sending smaller patches that target a specific
issue first, since they are easier to review and accept (or reject, with
a concrete explanation) than a large rambling patch would be.

	--dkg