Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Sat Sep 20 03:02:15 CEST 2014

On 19/09/14 15:35, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

>  2) interactions between running gpg-agent and newer gnupg2
>
> [..]
>
> the upgrade process fails weirdly
> (while claiming success!):
>
> [..]
>
> So i think that gpg2.1 needs to somehow detect that the running agent is
> old, and either fail more gracefully (making it clear to the user  or
> actually restart the agent if it can be sure that gpg-agent is the right
> version.

Is this the debian or gnupg upgrade process? Either way, we can run it with --no-use-agent? Then warn the user if GPG_AGENT_INFO is set?

According to various posts on the internet we could also run "gpg-connect-agent killagent /bye" [1] but I just tried it and it doesn't work. `man gpg-connect-agent` doesn't mention any commands, except "control" ones that start with / and I can't find any documentation anywhere online about these commands. :|

$ gpg-connect-agent killagent /bye
ERR 103 unknown command
$ gpg-connect-agent --version
gpg-connect-agent (GnuPG) 2.0.26

[1] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2013-July/046947.html

>  0) dirmngr
>
> gpg2.1 depends on the latest version of dirmngr for any/all of its
> remote access functionality (e.g. keyserver fetches).  Debian has
> traditionally packaged dirmngr separately from gnupg, but it looks like
> we should really bring the two of them together.  This is is
> debian-specific packaging work; we've already gotten permission of the
> dirmngr maintainer to do this, so it's just outstanding work that needs
> to be done:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-gnupg-maint/2014-September/001828.html

Does this have anything to do with the failures above?

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git