Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Mon Sep 22 19:22:42 CEST 2014

On 22/09/14 17:45, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:14, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:
>
>> I basically agree with this.
>
> Me too.
>
>> Of course, --expert would have everything and give all options,
>> including setting key flags, as today.  But without --expert, just
>> make an RSA (sign+certify) + RSA (encrypt) key, as is the default
>> today.

Whilst we're on this topic, I think the master key should be certify-only by default, and have two subkeys for signing and encryption. This means that someone can later move the master key to separate storage, if they learn more about GPG and decide that this is suitable for them. If you start off with a master key for sign+certify, this is more awkward.

> I wonder whether a sign only key (and then being able to select between
> DSA or RSA) makes sense in non-expert mode.  What do you think?
>
> Shall we add a line "For more options run gpg with --expert"?

Yes, it's good to let the user know this option is there.

I hope however, that this doesn't cause the usability of expert mode to be neglected. Even "expert mode" should be easy-to-use; I'll reply to the other posts that touch on this later.

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git