Why 2.1 is delayed for so long

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 24 09:31:37 CEST 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 05:29, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> I think that's a good idea, but giving this whole thing a bit of
> thought, perhaps not "--expert".  That is, make up some new option to

I also have concerns using --exper for this.

> show the full key generation list.  (or even a different command:
> "--gen-key" vs "--gen-key-full" perhaps?)  The reason why I'm

Aas of now we have

  --gen-key
  --quick-gen-key USERID

--quick-gen-key is actually for script use to quickly generate a default
key.  It does not do any checking on the USERID and thus there is no
interactive help on using a de-facto standard user id.

  --full-gen-key

would better match the other command names.

One problem with changing the --gen-key is that some scripts and
programs may run into problems because they assume a specific order of
prompts.  But I am willing to risk such a breakage for 2.1 - eventually
this software needs to be changed for ECC anyway.

> buckets.  I don't want --expert to be the standard way to do something
> "normal".

Agreed.  Using --expert would also reveal our new "read-only" algorithms
to early.

Salam-Shalom,