Gnome Keyring and gpg

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Wed Apr 8 22:37:02 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'd like to resume the discussion about GnuPG and Gnome Keyring.  I
read the thread from last Auguest [1], but I couldn't find much more
information.  Stef, could you please tell me exactly what Gnome
Keyring needs to do?

As I understand the issue, Gnome Keyring wants to cache the password
for the secret key.  It seems to me that the easiest solution is to
direct GnuPG to use a special pinentry program that is Gnome Keyring
aware.  Basically, gnupg invokes this program when it needs a
password.  But, instead of immediately showing a dialog, it first
checks whether Gnome Keyring has cached the password.  If not, it uses
a Gnome-themed dialog to prompt the user for the password.  If the
password is accepted, it can then save it in the Gnome Keyring.  I
suspect that this is much simpler than implementing a gpg-agent proxy.

Perhaps I'm missing something.  If so, please help me better
understand the issue.

Thanks,

Neal

[1] https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2014-August/028689.html