gpg-agent: Show PID/command line of the requesting process

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Apr 16 11:48:56 CEST 2015

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:56, wavexx at thregr.org said:
> When using gpg-agent in daemon mode it's not always obvious which
> process is requesting authorization for unlocking a key. The agent
> should always show the PID/command of the requester.

That is probably nice for developers but most users don't known about
processes working in the background.  In most cases they will see "gpg"
with some cryptic options and don't understand what this is about.

> The command line is extracted from /proc/[pid]/cmdline. Does somebody

It is all system specific.  A process may also change the shown command
line; which is also system specific.

> Having a fixed text would be easy (such as: Program [PID] [command] is
> requesting to unlock the secret key ...). While doing some tests, it

I would put it into the title bar which is what I use for testing
pinentry.  Telling the pinentry about the requesting socket and pid is
possible so that a pinentry may display the information at its own
discretion.

Salam-Shalom,