--passphrase and command line

hymie! hymie at lactose.homelinux.net
Wed Jan 14 15:39:24 CET 2015

Greetings.

I suspect that this has already been asked and discussed, but my attempts to
search were all unsuccessful.

When I run my mysql client, I can use this syntax:

mysql -unobody -psecretpassword

and when I do a ps, I see this:

 3606 pts/2    S+     0:00 mysql -unobody -px xxxxx

The password is removed from the ps command as well as from
/proc/3606/cmdline .  If it's anywhere else, I can't find it.

Can this feature be added to the "--passphrase" option of gpg?  It's my
humble opinion that this would improve the security of batch processing over
either --passphrase-fd or --passphrase-file .

Thanks.

--hymie!