Beyond Curve25519

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 19 11:02:07 CET 2015

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:38, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> OCB is free for FOSS use, so it's no trouble for our community.  What's
> the problem with keeping the current CFB/MDC setup as a MUST, add OCB as
> a MAY, and add a flag to prefs showing whether you're capable of
> handling OCB traffic?

That works for the meantime and is how we need to implement it anyway.
But at some point we need to stop creating old data and the IETF may not
like to make a semi-patented algorithm a MUST.  On the other hand
migration to a new format will anyway take years and the known patents
may have expired by then.

Shalom-Salam,