GnuPG 2.1.6: Failure with using fingerprint for expired key

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 29 16:25:11 CEST 2015

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 11:31, patrick at enigmail.net said:

>> gpg2 --status-fd 2 -e -r 0xC17B4E355CF2C8022295C2FF87D6A0DDDA4A1116
> [GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED 1359650467

> (this will continue forever)

I can't replicate this.  In my test it stopped but returned "Legacy Key"
instead of "Unusable Key".  This is fixed with 23d8609.

So, this depends on the order of regular and legacy keys in the keyring.
On my test the expired key was directly followed by a Legacy key.

Are you using a keyring or a keybox?  That can make a difference.

Shalom-Salam,