s2k-cipher-mode default

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jun 2 21:01:21 CEST 2015

On Tue 2015-06-02 14:38:13 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue,  2 Jun 2015 19:25, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:
>
>>> I am fine to switch to AES-128 for 2.0 too.
>>
>> Any reason to avoid it for the 1.4 branch?
>
> Can be done.

Thanks, making all the branches have the same defaults when they support
the same algorithms seems reasonable to me.

>> This is the case for symmetric backups.  For secret key protection, the
>> time difference is negligible compared to things like passphrase entry.
>
> Secret key protection does not require that strength.  Do you really
> thing anyone is using a passphrase (intended to be memorized) with more
> than 128 bit of entropy?

No, i suspect that most people are not.  But (a) why limit them to it?
and (b) as i mentioned to Robert, depending on the attacks against
AES-128, and how much key material is intended to be protected, there
may be attacks against AES that are significantly more effective than
brute force over the entire keyspace.

> Anywa, I won't care whether this is AES-256 or AES-128 - implementation
> wise it does not make a real difference to implement one or both.

Both are implemented already.  I'm asking about what the default should
be.

>> As you say, CPU is not the bottleneck on modern systems dealing with
>> this kind of data, either large or small.  So why not move to stronger
>
> Why using cycles and energy without a reason?

To protect data at rest against a powerful adversary, right?

Regards,

   --dkg