2.1.5; documentation build failure

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 15 11:31:35 CEST 2015

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 03:55, ueno at gnu.org said:

> gnupg.texi:4: @include: could not find defs.inc
> gnupg.texi:29: warning: undefined flag: VERSION

defs.inc is build by these rules:

mkdefsinc: mkdefsinc.c Makefile ../config.h
	$(CC_FOR_BUILD) -I. -I.. -I$(srcdir) $(AM_CPPFLAGS) \
                        -o $@ $(srcdir)/mkdefsinc.c

defsincdate: $(gnupg_TEXINFOS)
	: >defsincdate ; \
	if test -d $(top_srcdir)/.git; then \
	  (cd $(srcdir) && git log -1 --format='%ct' \
               -- $(gnupg_TEXINFOS) 2>/dev/null) >>defsincdate; \
	fi

defs.inc : defsincdate Makefile mkdefsinc
	incd="`test -f defsincdate || echo '$(srcdir)/'`defsincdate"; \
	./mkdefsinc -C $(srcdir) --date "`cat $$incd 2>/dev/null`" \
	    $(gnupg_TEXINFOS) >$@

which says that it should take the date from git if this is a git
checkout or on a distributed tarball take it from a file tracking that
date.  VERSION is read by mkdefsinc from config.h.

> I guess defs.inc should be properly marked as prerequisites, or the file
> should be renamed back to version.texi?

version.texi does not work with git because git does not preseve the
modification time.  Thus the git log thing above.

You log output is too short to see what is going wrong.

Shalom-Salam,