pinentry hide/show button

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Thu May 7 20:13:00 CEST 2015

At Thu, 07 May 2015 18:40:14 +0200,
Werner Koch wrote:
> For long passphrases and if you are anyway working out of sight of
> cameras it is convenient to actually see what you are typing.  Thus a
> hide/show button for password entries is desirable.  What do you think
> of a toggle button to the right of the entry field?
>
> The patch below implements this for the GTK pinentry.  It does not
> actually work but I would like to get an opinion on the behaviour:
> ("***" = hidden, "abc" - visible).
>
>  https://wiki.gnupg.org/ScratchWK
>
> or
>
>  https://gnupg.org/scratch/pinentry-hidden.png
>  https://gnupg.org/scratch/pinentry-reveal.png

This should be:

  https://gnupg.org/scratch/pinentry-revealed.png
                                           ^^

I think the icons are backwards.  The ***s should be shown when the
password is revealed and abc should be shown when the password is
hidden.  (I.e., the button should show you what you get when you
click.)

I think it is important that the button not be in the tabbing order to
prevent accidentally selecting it.

Alternatively or in addition, it might make sense to pop up a dialog
asking the user if she really wants to reveal her password.

Neal