pinentry hide/show button

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu May 7 21:23:55 CEST 2015

On Thu,  7 May 2015 20:53, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> In other dialog boxes (e.g. whatever displays the dialog box for wifi
> passwords on a GNOME installation) it is displayed as a checkbox
> immediately under the password field titled "show password" or

I have installed several tools and did a bit of web search.  A button
without a label next to the entry field is quite common and has the
advantage that it is small and does not need translation (except for the
tooltips).

> I have mixed feelings about this.  If it's not in the tabbing order, how
> do i select it without a mouse?  Can we guarantee an accelerator key?

I am not sure.

>> Alternatively or in addition, it might make sense to pop up a dialog
>> asking the user if she really wants to reveal her password.
>
> a dialog going from hide->show sounds vaguely acceptable (though a
> little bit annoying).  please don't do a dialog in the show->hide

What about showing a warning dialog only if more than one character has
been entered?  Or any character?  Of course not from show->hide.

Shalom-Salam,