pinentry hide/show button

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu May 7 21:46:44 CEST 2015

On Thu 2015-05-07 15:23:55 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu,  7 May 2015 20:53, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:
>
>> In other dialog boxes (e.g. whatever displays the dialog box for wifi
>> passwords on a GNOME installation) it is displayed as a checkbox
>> immediately under the password field titled "show password" or
>
> I have installed several tools and did a bit of web search.  A button
> without a label next to the entry field is quite common and has the
> advantage that it is small and does not need translation (except for the
> tooltips).
>
>> I have mixed feelings about this.  If it's not in the tabbing order, how
>> do i select it without a mouse?  Can we guarantee an accelerator key?
>
> I am not sure.
>
>>> Alternatively or in addition, it might make sense to pop up a dialog
>>> asking the user if she really wants to reveal her password.
>>
>> a dialog going from hide->show sounds vaguely acceptable (though a
>> little bit annoying).  please don't do a dialog in the show->hide
>
> What about showing a warning dialog only if more than one character has
> been entered?  Or any character?  Of course not from show->hide.

I like this compromise.  It helps to avoid catching the "type
passphrase, tab, enter" workflow, which people might be accustomed to.

It's also conceivable that we could just *move* the button in the
tabbing order, to after "cancel", so the tabbing order would go:

 passphrase_entry
 OK_button
 Cancel_button
 show_password_toggle

That wouldn't be too difficult to use (you'd find it pretty easily in a
tab-cycle search, and you could shift-tab to it once you knew it was set
up that way), and it also helps avoid a bad outcome for folks with the
workflow i described above, while still leaving things accessible
without a mouse or an accelerator key.

        --dkg