testing pinentry [was: Re: removing pinentry's subdirectories from git: debian/ gtk/ qt/]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu May 14 20:44:34 CEST 2015

On Thu 2015-05-14 14:19:12 -0400, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> It's great to get quick feedback about changes!  First, it's nice to
> hear that someone is interested in what I'm working on.  Second, it
> much easier to deal with bug reports when the relevant code is still
> in my working memory.

I'm happy that you see things this way, Neal :)

> This is particularly important given that the amount of testing that I
> can easily do is limited.

Testing pinentry seems like a particularly thorny problem, as there are
a lot of interacting variables, from window managers to actual humans in
the loop.  Has anyone tried to draft a more comprehensive pinentry test
suite?

for X11-based systems, it seems possible to use something like
xserver-xephyr plus xdotool or other GUI automation systems might be
worth experimenting with.  Or maybe start with something interacting
with a single tty and the curses interface?

Does something like this already exist?  I don't have the bandwidth to
set something like this up, but if anyone reading the list wants to look
into an automated test suite for the various pinentries, that seems like
it would be a useful contribution.

   --dkg