gnome keyring & gpg agent: backport to gpg 2.0 done

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Tue May 19 15:36:40 CEST 2015

At Thu, 14 May 2015 20:34:40 +0200,
Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> The pieces are now basically in place to fix the GPG Agent / Gnome
> Keyring issue.  There are three minor issues:
>
>   - There are a couple of small deficiencies in the gnome3 pinentry
>     (e.g., no one button confirmation messages, but this is easily
>     worked around).  These deficiencies have more to do with
>     limitations in Gcr than with the Pinentry implementation.
>
>   - Gnome Keyring's maintainer hasn't yet ripped out the GPG Agent
>     support, but fully agrees with the changes so far.  (Of course,
>     the GPG Agent proxy can be trivially disabled since it is a
>     separate component.)

There is a GSoC project that is being managed by Stef (the maintainer
of GNOME Keyring).  Part of the project is to finish these items.

But, again, these items are primarily aesthetic: there is no reason
that distributions can't ship the new pinentry now and disable GNOME
Keyring's gpg agent proxy.

>   - To fully replace Gnome Keyring's GPG Agent Proxy, a couple of
>     minor changes had to be made to GPG.  These are so far only in
>     2.1, but I will backport them to 2.0 soon.

I've now finished this.

Neal