GnuPG Github mirrors

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Oct 27 17:04:04 CET 2015

> For example if I currently have a suggestion for a new GnuPG FAQ entry
> I would have to download the code, create a patch, send that to the
> mailing list, and then hope that you are actively reading the mailing
> list, apply the patch and push.

I don't accept patches to the FAQ.  I never have.  This is because it's
important the FAQ have consistent grammar, syntax, spelling, and
typography.  (For instance, you'll see the FAQ uses proper ‘curved’
quotation marks rather than the normally-seen 'straight' ones.)  When I
receive a patch from someone, even from Werner, I propose it to the
gnupg-users list, solicit community feedback, and if the community
accepts it then I rewrite the contribution in Standard American English
taking into account the community feedback.

> merge. For a FAQ entry this might be minor, but for a significant code
> overhaul this is a more powerful way to collaborate than emailing
> patches.

This may be true for other projects.  I'm not convinced it's true for
us.  I've never heard anyone complain about it being too hard to submit
patches to GnuPG.  I've heard people complain about patches not being
accepted, sure -- but never that it was too hard to contribute.