GnuPG Github mirrors

Joshua Rogers git at internot.info
Tue Oct 27 17:30:51 CET 2015

On 27/10/15 21:24, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> For example if I currently have a suggestion for a new GnuPG FAQ entry
> I would have to download the code, create a patch, send that to the
> mailing list, and then hope that you are actively reading the mailing
> list, apply the patch and push. In Github I would simply clone the
> repo, commit the changes, and send you a pull request in which we can
> together review/discuss/tweak the changes until you are pleased and
> merge. For a FAQ entry this might be minor, but for a significant code
> overhaul this is a more powerful way to collaborate than emailing
> patches.
At the beginning of the year, I made a few patches that I sent to this
list. I originally didn't know how to use git-send-email and the likes(I
could have git --diff'd and sent it directly through my email client,
however), but Daniel was more than happy to help me get on the right
path to learning how to submit patches correctly.

As Werner said, it's likely a good thing that people learn how to use
git beyond just 'git push origin master'.
It is likely a good thing that they expand their horizons beyond 'git'
being just something used on Github, too.

So, I don't think there is a "need" for moving to Github to be easier to
access.

On a personal note, by somebody that is not "involved" in the
development or anything to do with GnuPG other than reading the mailing
list, I see no problem with it being on Github, as long as it is made
100% clear it is not the official repository. Even now, there are 61
results that show up for gnupg on Github:
https://github.com/search?l=C&q=Gnupg&type=Repositories&utf8=%E2%9C%93
And 1777 for 'gpg' :
https://github.com/search?q=gpg&ref=searchresults&type=Repositories&utf8=%E2%9C%93
However, 'gpg' comes up with a lot of customized tools.

Also..
> It's a *mirror*, I'm not sure where exactly you got the moving away
> part. Think of it as a similar role as ftp mirrors, but then for
> browsable code, commits, etc. Using it is entirely optional, you don't
> have to give out control of your data to anyone.
What's wrong with http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
--