GnuPG Github mirrors

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 27 18:58:21 CET 2015

On Tue 2015-10-27 12:30:51 -0400, Joshua Rogers wrote:
> At the beginning of the year, I made a few patches that I sent to this
> list. I originally didn't know how to use git-send-email and the likes(I
> could have git --diff'd and sent it directly through my email client,
> however), but Daniel was more than happy to help me get on the right
> path to learning how to submit patches correctly.

It would be a really useful contribution to the community for someone to
publish concise documentation of their workflow of how they interact
with the GnuPG project as a non-core developer.  (hint, hint)

I know we all have our own idiosyncrasies, and no one wants to inflict
their workflow on anyone else.  But one of the things that github offers
is a standardized workflow across projects.  I personally dislike that
particular workflow (i don't like centralized servers; i prefer a
detached, e-mail-oriented workflow) but it's true that it probably does
facilitate participation by others simply because of its scale of
adoption.  that's the network effect for you :(

Having someone be willing to act as a bridge between the github workflow
and the mailing list workflow does seem like a useful contribution to
the community, as much as we'd like to ultimately invite the
github-influenced folks to come join us in happy fun e-mailed patches
land.

    --dkg