RFC on issue 2701, default expiration time for new keys

Alexander Strobel Alexander.Strobel at giepa.de
Fri Dec 9 15:48:43 CET 2016

Am 09.12.2016 um 15:14 schrieb Neal H. Walfield:
> The problem that I see is that the tools are not yet there.  With a
> two year default, people are going to have to start extending the
> expiration in about 18 to 20 months (to give time for the update to
> propagate).  The tools (e.g., enigmail) should make extending the
> expiration easy (e.g., a dialog: do you want to extend your key's
> expiration for another two years?), but AFAIK they don't yet.

Enigmail shows a messagebox when a key is about to expire. I think I saw
something like 30 days before my key was about to expire.
In gpg4o we have a feature like this on out todo list for about three
years now and we will probably implement it within the few months. :)

Best regards
 Alex Strobel
 www.gpg4o.com