Moving the agent's socket to /var/run ?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Feb 23 21:21:33 CET 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:50, ametzler at bebt.de said:

> /var/run typically is a symlink to /run. Are per-user

Yes on mopdern platforms.  I am not sure whether this is the case for
AIX.  Actually, I was asking myself whether to write /run for please the
young hackers and Gnus but the  wrote /var/run becuase that is more
common to me.  In any case, using XDG specs make a lot of sense.

> subdirectories of /run common practise on other ditributions nowadays?

No idea.  I ddged that this is sometimes used for databases and such on
Ubuntu.

> (I only know that Debian does not have them.) Having a default that
> would not work for most of the users is probably not desirable.

Why should that not work for all users?  It is just a matter of creating
that directory for each user in advance or creating it on demand using a
little userv script.

Salam-Shalom,