Moving the agent's socket to /var/run ?

Charles Diza chdiza at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 23:00:56 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:50, ametzler at bebt.de said:
>
> > /var/run typically is a symlink to /run. Are per-user
>
> Yes on mopdern platforms.  I am not sure whether this is the case for
> AIX.  Actually, I was asking myself whether to write /run for please the
> young hackers and Gnus but the  wrote /var/run becuase that is more
> common to me.  In any case, using XDG specs make a lot of sense.
>
> > subdirectories of /run common practise on other ditributions nowadays?
>
> No idea.  I ddged that this is sometimes used for databases and such on
> Ubuntu.
>
> > (I only know that Debian does not have them.) Having a default that
> > would not work for most of the users is probably not desirable.
>
> Why should that not work for all users?  It is just a matter of creating
> that directory for each user in advance or creating it on demand using a
> little userv script.

Mac OS X doesn't have per-user sudirectories of /var/run.  And putting
anything there requires sudo.  Plus, the new SIP "feature" in 10.11 and up
might not let anything go there even with sudo (I can't recall whether
/var/run is one of the exceptions; I disabled SIP long ago).

Also, Mac OS X doesn't have /run, not even as a symlink.

Please be careful with this.  I don't think Mac users should be forced to
set some $XDG_* stuff just to use gpg-agent.

-Charles