Curve41417 Support

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jul 5 23:01:12 CEST 2016

On Tue 2016-07-05 14:39:10 -0400, Naftuli Tzvi Kay wrote:
> Is there a good page that details elliptic curve support in GnuPG? I'm
> curious if you guys are looking at implementing Curve41417, looks to be a
> good curve courtesy of djb at 2^200 key strength. Of course Curve25519 is
> good for now, but the more the merrier.

I'm not convinced that "the more the merrier" is correct in this case (i
certainly wouldn't want the GnuPG developers to have to maintain
implementations for hundreds of distinct curves) but if GnuPG is going
to implement a stronger, new-style elliptic curve, i would hope it would
try for something like Ed448 instead, as that's more likely to be an
agreed-upon high-strength curve:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-eddsa-05

Regards,

   --dkg