Removing --print-dane-records ?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jul 7 19:46:43 CEST 2016

On Thu 2016-07-07 11:44:54 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:

> I added a new export option "export-dane" which yields the same output
> with --export as "--print-dane-records" does in a key listing.  The
> advantage of having this in the export code is that the other export
> options and the new filter can also be applied.  And it is less
> surprising to have this has an export option than as a special key
> listing mode.
>
> Are there any concerns of removing the --print-dane-records option?  I
> doubt that it is widely used, anyway.

it's not used anywhere in debian outside the gnupg2 package itself:

   https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=print-dane-records

If you think it's a cleaner interface without, i'd say go ahead and
remove it.

That said, is it that much more intuitive as an export option?  All the
other export-options are filters that decide which packets should be
emitted.  This one actually transforms the output format entirely.  It
feels a bit more like the difference between --armor and --no-armor, or
between "--with-colons --list-keys" and --export :/

i'd be fine either way, but i agree with you that there should be only
one standard way to get gpg to emit the dane records, i just don't know
which one is preferable.

        --dkg