Environment variables for UPDATESTARTUPTTY of gpg-agent

Thomas Gries mail at tgries.de
Wed Jul 13 10:40:10 CEST 2016

Am 13.07.2016 um 03:47 schrieb NIIBE Yutaka:
>>> You mean 2.0?  Since 2.1 auto starting the agent is the default and I
>>> don't see why some other software should take part in it.  GnUPG would
>>> not anymore be self-contained.  Anyway.
>> The problem is, that Debian 8 (Jessie) still has the 2.0x versions, and not
>> the 2.1x version, and you get these annoying "gnome-keyring hijacked GPG
>> agent" issue.
>>
>> gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.26
>> libgcrypt 1.6.3
>>
>> Any idea when this will change, and when the 2.1x will become available
>> in Debian 8 ?
> I think that you are talking about different issue.  It's not a
> problem of GnuPG (but problem of gnome-keyring), from the viewpoint of
> mine.  In Debian, the bug reports in question are:
>
>     SSH service: https://bugs.debian.org/623539
>     gpg-agent: https://bugs.debian.org/760102
>
> Per user basis, you can stop gnome-keyring for SSH service:
>
>    https://blog.josefsson.org/2015/01/02/openpgp-smartcards-and-gnome/
>
> Or see the last message in 623539.
>
> I do disable SSH service and gpg-agent emulation by gnome-keyring
> system wide, because there are no reason to enable these (for me).
> See:
>
>     http://www.gniibe.org/memo/notebook/gnome3-gpg-settings.html

I did this *already* on my system long time ago (before your information).
But the (non-) settings appear to have no positive consequences, so I
guess, these auostart setup is ignored on debian8.

gpg2 --card-status
gpg: WARNING: The GNOME keyring manager hijacked the GnuPG agent.
gpg: WARNING: GnuPG will not work properly - please configure that tool
to not interfere with the GnuPG system!

The only way which works for me is to "unset GPG_AGENT_INFO as in (for
example)

$ unset GPG_AGENT_INFO ; icedove &

or

$ unset GPG_AGENT_INFO ; gpg2 --card-status

And as far as I understand, only new GPG versions >= 2.1x will ignore
GPG_AGENT_INFO settings,

So something is totally weird wirg gnome & GPG.

GPG and Debian and Gnome people: *_/please fix it!/_*