Secret key import results and GnuPG 2.1

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Mar 3 17:00:30 CET 2016

Hi,

(I think this was mentioned on this list earlier but I couldn't find a thread
for this)

With 2.1 the importing a scret key leads to the following result:

gpg: key 6CFBC912: public key "Test UserA <testusera at example.com>" imported
gpg: key 6CFBC912: secret key imported
gpg: Total number processed: 2
gpg:               imported: 1
gpg:       secret keys read: 2
gpg:   secret keys imported: 1

With 1.4 (and afaik with 2.0) it was:

gpg: key 6CFBC912: public key "Test UserA <testusera at example.com>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
gpg:       secret keys read: 1
gpg:   secret keys imported: 1

I think it means that two subkeys are processed / read. But then the output
should differentiate between subkey and primary key. Otherwise the "secret keys
imported" is confusing because both subkeys were imported. It appears to me
that in one line of that output the word keys has a different meaning as in the
next line.

As this result is also passed through gpgme API leading to problems for me in
Kleopatra where a result is now shown as:
http://files.intevation.de/users/aheinecke/kleo-import.png

Which is confusing. I'm not sure how I should change this in Kleo. Is this
output change even intentional or was it just a side effect?

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262  | http://www.intevation.de/