Automated testing of scripts that use GnuPG

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 07:48:45 CET 2016

Hi,

I am trying to develop some wrapper shell scripts that try to simplify the
process of using GnuPG: https://github.com/dashohoxha/egpg
I am also trying to write some automated tests for these scripts (based on
Sharness): https://github.com/dashohoxha/egpg/tree/master/tests

But I am having problems because `gpg` has a "nasty" behaviour, it always
pops up a window for getting the passphrase. Maybe this is a nice feature
for the normal operation of the scripts, but for automatic testing it
breaks the 'automatic' part.

Is there any way to solve or work around this problem?
I know about "--passphrase-fd=0" and then passing the passphrase from the
stdin. But, first, it does not always work, and second, I would like to
override that behaviour only for the case of testing, not for the normal
operation. Maybe it can be some configuration or some environment variable,
that I can change during testing.

Thanks,
Dashamir

P.s. Maybe I should have posted this message to the list of users, not to
developers.
       Please let me know if this is the case.