Clean whitespace errors in gnupg repos

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Nov 2 23:34:34 CET 2016

On Wed 2016-11-02 15:35:25 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed,  2 Nov 2016 19:46, aheinecke at intevation.de said:
>
>> Yes! Please! I know it makes history / blame a bit harder but not really a
>> problem. In KDE we had coding style changes that changed nearly every
>
> I consider this a real annoyance and thus a global chnage is not a good
> idea.  Some years ago I re-indented _most_ files and I do want another
> bulk change again.

unless one of these messages is off by a "not", this paragraph doesn't
make sense to me.

> If you encounter trailing white spaces when doing a fix for a file,
> please postpone the fix until you have trimmed and commited those white
> spaces.

So those of us without commit access shouldn't do work on any fixes that
touch files with whitespace errors until we've convinced someone with
the commit bit to clean the whitespace in a given file?  It's unclear to
me how i should effectively act on this advice other than advocating for
a repo-wide whitespace cleanup, as i was trying to do.

Surely the goal is to facilitate review of external contributions based
on substance, rather than erecting hurdles to contribution based on
form?

           --dkg