GPG Agent: No detach not working?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Nov 9 19:43:32 CET 2016

Hi Naftuli--

On Mon 2016-11-07 12:08:15 -0600, Naftuli Kay wrote:
> I'm looking to run my gpg-agent in a SystemD user unit file like so:
 [...]
> Running on Ubuntu 16.04. I'd like to have it run in the foreground so
> that its output is captured by the SystemD journal so I can review.
>
> I can get it to work if I set it to Type=forking, but I specifically
> want it to run in the foreground.

Please wait until 2.1.16 is released (or backport the fixes for the
"--supervised" options to dirmngr and gpg-agent), and then use the the
socket-activated .service and .socket files that we're shipping in
debian:

    https://sources.debian.net/src/gnupg2/unstable/debian/systemd-user/

This will provide you with exactly what you're looking for, and it will
have the additional advantage of not actually running the daemons until
they're needed.

I've asked upstream to include these .service and .socket files in the
upstream git repo to make them easier to find, but that hasn't happened
yet.

Regards,

     --dkg