gpg 2.1.15, *no* keyservers found for submit/recv, "DNS query returned an error or no records: No such domain (nxdomain)"

Phil Pennock gnupg-devel at spodhuis.org
Mon Oct 10 00:38:33 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-09 at 08:43 -0700, lists at ssl-mail.com wrote:
> I've installed
>
> 	gpg2 --version

> But when I try to upload/retrieve from any keyserver, I get "ERR 167772346 No keyserver available <Dirmngr>".

Connect to the dirmngr and ask it about its DNS setup with two GETINFO
commands:

  % gpg-connect-agent --dirmngr
  > GETINFO dnsinfo
  OK - ADNS w/o Tor support
  > GETINFO tor
  ERR 167772416 False <Dirmngr> - Tor mode is NOT enabled

What do you see?

Pure speculation: If you're configured for tor mode and using the
default tor nameserver (8.8.8.8) perhaps that's now rejecting tor exit
nodes when under load?

-Phil