begging for pyme name change

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Oct 14 19:13:45 CEST 2016

On Fri 2016-10-14 05:00:23 -0400, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag 14 Oktober 2016 00:08:07 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
>> fwiw, i agree that the best name is "python-gpgme"
>
> FWIW: I believe in "python3-gnupg"

This is already taken (at least in debian) by the python-gnupg project's
python3 module.

  https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/python-gnupg

python-gnupg does not have anything close to a similar interface
supported by gpgme, and it also doesn't currently support gnupg 2.1.x
i'm working on a series of patches for it, but this has been open for
over a year upstream without being fixed:

  https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/python-gnupg/issues/32/add-gpg-21-compability

afaict, the current upstream code does not even pass the tests with
2.1.x installed :/

> Why? The "gnupg" is the strongest brand we (as the GnuPG Free Software
> Initiative) have.

agreed, but these bindings are specifically connected to gpgme, and
"gpg" is at least present there.

Also, our other language bindings include the "me" in their names; why
should python bindings be any different?

      --dkg