begging for pyme name change

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Oct 17 09:51:27 CEST 2016

Am Freitag 14 Oktober 2016 19:13:45 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> On Fri 2016-10-14 05:00:23 -0400, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Am Freitag 14 Oktober 2016 00:08:07 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> >> fwiw, i agree that the best name is "python-gpgme"
> >
> > FWIW: I believe in "python3-gnupg"
>
> This is already taken (at least in debian) by the python-gnupg project's
> python3 module.

https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/gnupg is not the official python GnuPG API
and "gnupg" is **our** namespace so to say. (Still any Free Software
contribution is nice, so it is cool that this module was written and
published. On the other hand, if we try to raise adoption for GnuPG, we all
have a strong interest that there is recognition about what is more or less
maintained.) IMO "python-gnupg" is the best name for this.

If there are conflicts any distribution could solve them by version numbers
when in doubt. Maybe debian would use package names like

   python3-gnupg2
   python-gnupg2

To show that the there was an incompatible API change.

My guiding principle is: what name would developers expect when looking
for the GnuPG API?

> > Why? The "gnupg" is the strongest brand we (as the GnuPG Free Software
> > Initiative) have.
>
> agreed, but these bindings are specifically connected to gpgme, and
> "gpg" is at least present there.

The brand recognition is specifically highest about "gnupg" not "gpg".

> Also, our other language bindings include the "me" in their names; why
> should python bindings be any different?

"gpgme" is acceptable for me, though I would prefer "gnupg".
I am even unshure about the "binding" part as the GnuPG python module
is maintained and will grow more functions beyond bare-bones-GnuPG-calling.
Calling it a "binding" may be a less interesting detail, missguiding that it
comes with it own additions.

So the connection is: If you want GnuPG's quality for crypto from python,
use its python module.

Best,
Bernhard