proposal python-gnupg2 (was: begging for pyme name change)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 18 08:57:17 CEST 2016

Hi Daniel, Hi Vinay,

Am Montag 17 Oktober 2016 18:45:27 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> I hear you, but let's be clear that Vinay Sajip was maintaining this
> wrapper long before the GnuPG upstream team decided to offer any sort of
> python functionality at all.

to me it is not a timing issue, but how to offer the best GnuPG usage
experience (for developers). (Gpgme used to be around for a while by now.)

> And this other project has an existing userbase that would be good
> to reach out to, rather than to ignore.

Yes, thanks for bringing Vinay into the discussion.
And thank you Vinay for your contribution to Free Software and
GnuPG!

> It's not clear to me how to break this logjam, even if we
> manage to get all parties in agreement that there should be a single
> preferred pythonic interface to GnuPG.

There may be different libraries in the future of course, but it would be
helpful if we have one that is considered "standard". And if we can pool
most of our efforts in improving this standard module to be well tested
and offering all functionality. This is why I suggest using the most natural
name. My suggestion to solve this is to use the new name with the major
version number being increasted like "python-gnupg2".
(Though it still helps to access GnuPG 1.4.x executables.)

> > The brand recognition is specifically highest about "gnupg" not "gpg".
>
> I have no idea whether this is true or not.  How are you measuring it?

My observation over a couple of years. Feedback from people that get exposed
to OpenPGP. I'll followup on this with an extra post.

As for the perceived shortcomings of gpgme: I believe the goal our
GnuPG-Initiative is to add all needed functionality to gpgme. It basically
is a wrapper around calling gpg(.exe). Some features are less known
other have been added but overall it is the best solution for most cases, see
Andre's talk from https://openpgp-conf.org/program.html .

Best Regards,
Bernhard